Lily was 18 months to the day when the girls were born. I told her every day that there were babies in mummy’s tummy but never imaged she had a clue what I was talking about… Who knows what sank in, and to be honest what did it matter as when her sisters arrived they weren’t going back!
Lily has been obsessed since the moment she saw them. Now I can’t guarantee that isn’t the ridiculous amount of chocolate (bribes) she consumed or constant PFP on TV that’s come hand in hand with her sisters arrival but she thinks they are pretty amazing.
One thing I did maintain on coming home was that they were her babies and she helps me to look after them, which she really does!
There have only been a few incidents –
Don’t ask your toddler to fetch the sudocreme… One corner of our bedroom quickly became sticky white mess. It was ALL over her, that shit is SERIOUSLY hard to get out. Like a white oil slick.
Don’t leave them unattended for 1 second. Always take the toddler with you. I know it sounds ridiculously obvious but when all is harmony you think, “it’ll only take a second to pee”… DON’T DO IT. Gracie ened up with a whole box of sophia the first Duplo on top of her. Poor thing
If I had 1 instagram follower for every time I said “Gently Lily” well, Selena Gomez would not be top dog (119M – WTF)
I would say for all the hassle it’s worth getting your toddler to help, they LOVE being mummies little helper and it makes them feel like they are important.
We came home from an outing recently and the girls were desperate for a bottle. As I prepared them as fast as I could Lily had found their dummies and was putting them in their mouths to calm them down, she’s not even 2!! heart melting.
Now all I need to do is teach her how to run me a bath and crack open the champers…
How much help can a one and a half year old be?
Honestly pretty helpful actually!
Adjustment essentials – (depending on age but obviously based on 2 or under)
- Trolls – That horrific new DreamWorks, it’s like crack for toddlers (actually I sort of love it)
- Snacks in abundance – The good shit, not apples. I am Lily’s snack bitch
- TV – Don’t feel guilty. During the first 2/3 months its a constant necessity and won’t last forever
- Wrapped presents, books and toys so when people visit you and the new baby your oldest won’t feel left out.
- A doll and dolls pram in preparation, they like to copy EVERYTHING you do.
- Mention their new brother or sister ALL the time before they arrive.
- Ice cream